Rebekah Reads: Byrd's-Eye View Review


I am new to the Meddlin' Madeline series but am familiar with Chautona Havig's booksByrd's-Eye View is the fifth book in the series. One of the many things I appreciate about a Havig book is that I know before I begin it will keep me up all night reading. Byrd's-Eye View was no exception.

My only expectations before I read are 1) I expect to be surprised, 2) I expect to make a friend along the way, 3) I expect to stay up all night reading, and 4) I expect a vocabulary refresher -- I love that there are always one or two infrequently used words that show up in her books.

For those familiar with Havig's books, Rockland is a familiar town full of familiar places and familiar faces. Madeline lives in Rockland in the early 1900s. The mayor's daughter has determined to stop sleuthing but cannot stop observing. When mysteries are dropped in her lap, what can she do? Really, the only thing Madeline can do is solve the mysteries and help her friends. In the fifth book of the Meddlin' Madeline series, Madeline's friend marries, Madeline and Russell's friendship continues to develop, and Madeline matures spiritually as she grapples with what she ought to do about the mysteries she must solve. Bird's-Eye View can stand alone but is best understood after having read the earlier books in the series. While I do recommend the book and the author, I admit there are a few passages of confusing dialogue and narration.


My Meddlin' Madeline Playlist
A Bicycle Built for Two - Nat King Cole
The Entertainer - Scott Joplin
A Bird in a Gilded Cage - Harry Anthony

* I requested a review copy of this book and am sharing my personal opinion.    


Comments

Popular Posts